A Tale of Two Magazines > IDEAS & IDEALS

본문 바로가기

IDEAS & IDEALS

A Tale of Two Magazines

페이지 정보

본문

As a long and faithful reader of and subscriber to the two internationally famous weekly news magazines, Time and Newsweek, I find myself having become somewhat critical and choosy about reading them recently. For example, I rarely read the cover stories. They are too long to begin with and usually deal with too heavy and serious topics. I know some of these feature stories are really good, but I also know many of them are planned and written competitively with a view of increasing the circulation of the magazines.

I, therefore, try to skip the cover stories as much as possible. Instead I prefer short, simple and light articles. That is the reason why I came to read the magazines backward these days. Whenever a new edition is delivered to me, I reverse it and open the last page first and leaf through it looking at titles and photos before I land on an attractive article to read. Often I do not find any article worth reading throughout the entire issue and these unread numbers pile on my desk but I don't care or mind. Magazines are magazines, no more, I mutter to myself.

I have acquired this rather impertinent attitude towards the two magazines after having lived with them for more than forty years. I have to admit with some regret that the passion I had had for them over such a long period of time have significantly waned and subsided by now. Still I receive the two magazines every week through annual subscription but with no more enthusiasm than I welcome my old wife from her usual daily outings. Secretly I lament over this change of my mind, but I cannot help it.

Of course I was not like this before. The two magazines were always more than mere magazines for me. To read them was a sacred ritual of the week. The cover stories were a weekly delight, expectation, and obligation. All the articles in them, short or long, seemed very important and I tried not to miss any of them. I felt very proud of the fact that I belonged to a few of the intellectual elites in Korea who could read these English magazines.

It all started with vanity as well as practicality when I entered college. For me who was an English major, and who did not have any other or better English texts available, the two magazines had provided me with what I needed. Being displayed side by side every week at a corner of the bookstore, the two magazines, like twin brothers or sisters, called and beckoned me. It was a pleasure and pride for me just to pick up one and leaf through it. I wanted to be seen always with either of them in my hand wherever I was.

Often vanity and practicality go hand in hand complementing each other. At first I bought one of them. As time went on and my financial circumstances improved, I began to buy both of them, and then I subscribed to the two magazines annually. To have been able to receive and read the two magazines every week for the last thirty or more years through subscription without any disconnection, intermission or severance was a silent testimony to my monotonous but happy, peaceful and successful life. In fact, I grew up intellectually, professionally and financially with the two magazines.

With the two new magazines on my desk every week I became professor of English, taught English literature at a university for thirty years and retired. During the time my English has improved so much that I could conduct my English poetry class in English successfully. As far as English was concerned, I felt as if I had stood at the top of Mt. Everest looking at the valleys far down below with a smile. It was a long journey and all the way through the two magazines were good and faithful companions for me. I could not be too much grateful to them.

But now I find I have become a very ungrateful and egoistic old man. I came to feel that reading two magazines a week has become a burden and I feel like unloading it. My advanced age, weakening eyesight, tight budget, and decreasing interest in the world affairs, and more than anything else, the unread editions piling up on my desk every week - all these unpropitious phenomena are telling me ceaselessly to think twice before I renew the next annual subscription to two magazines. And to my own surprise, I find I am quite inclined to do so.  

I find old age makes a man cold, capricious and even cruel. Now I am at the point of making a great decision in my life. One of the two magazines must leave me. Once I thought of dropping both of them all at once, but I relented in the fury to do so, and decided to be as much reasonable and generous as I can be by reprieving one of the two. Either Newsweek or Time must go first by next month. I find it not an easy to job to do.  Like my twin daughters I cannot think of one without the other. The two have become one entity, and I can not separate one from the other.

Nobody around me would even notice the departure of one magazine from me and my life would not be much different from what it is now. But I know my life has shrunk a little bit more. Yes, my life has already shrunk from what it was. As trees shed their leaves in autumn I have already lost many of my cherished things. My parents, all of the relatives of my parents' age, most of my old teachers, some of my dear friends, - all have already left me. I am becoming smaller and smaller day by day. I feel being left alone. Like it or not, old life is like jettisoning one dear thing after another before the storm sinks the ship finally.
     (June 22, 2009)

댓글목록

profile_image

USAF님의 댓글

USAF 이름으로 검색 작성일

They are liberal rags, heavy on entertainment and short on critical thought. Go with The Economist and National Review

profile_image

임종건님의 댓글

임종건 이름으로 검색 작성일

이창국교수님,

오늘 아침 코리아타임스 기고 재미있게 또 조금은 쓸쓸한 마음으로 읽었습니다.늙음이란 것이 사랑하는 것들과의 이별이라는 말씀, 새로운 의미로 전달되는군요.타임과 뉴스위크 중에서 하나를 택하시기 보다 올해 타임이었으면 내년에 뉴스위크 식으로 번갈아 벗하시면 어떨까합니다.
저도 명수대 출신인데 대학 타임반 시절 타임지 뒷주머니에 끼고다니면서 세상을 다 아는양 으쓱했던 추억도 아련합니다.
건강하십시요.

임종건 드림

profile_image

luckylooch님의 댓글

luckylooch 이름으로 검색 작성일

two things: 1. Great article. I can feel old age through your writing even though I am not even close to it. 2. Keep Newsweek. Though both Time and Newsweek are Asian editions and far less interesting thatn their conuterparts printed in the US, I also read them both here in Korea, and Time is MORE of a bore than Newsweek. Now that that's all settled, on to the next thing to be shed in this lifetime.. ;)

회원로그인

회원가입

설문조사

결과보기

새로운 홈-페이지에 대한 평가 !!??

사이트 정보

LEEWELL.COM
서울특별시 강남구 대치동 123-45
02-123-4567
[email protected]
개인정보관리 책임자 : 김인배
오늘