Before I Grow Too Old to Read > IDEAS & IDEALS

본문 바로가기

IDEAS & IDEALS

Before I Grow Too Old to Read

페이지 정보

본문

One of the pleasures or privileges I have as a retired English professor is to re-read with infinite leisure the works of English literature that I have read or taught before. Since I have no obligation to teach the students or to write scholarly papers, I don't have to read them with any sense of duty, purpose or direction. I don't, therefore, read any work to the end always, nor memorize anything about it, nor finish it within the limited period of time. Usually I forget what I have read immediately after, but I don't care. I just let it go with a smile.

Now I read only to please myself and enjoy the moment of reading. Therefore I stop at a fine passage now and then, and take enough time to appreciate it as a traveler stops to savor a lovely scene in a landscape as much and long as he likes to. I freely choose or change from one work to another following my caprice or whims.

The problem is that there are too many good works for me to read. The world of English literature is like a vast garden with too many beautiful flowers in it, or like a large box full of precious stones. Often I feel confused about what to read among so many, like a bee hesitating on which flower to sit. I feel often tempted to cover and taste all of them, but I refrain myself to realize anew my advanced age and declining eyesight. Often I think of the days approaching when I will be totally unable to read, and then I feel busier than ever like a traveler hastening home before it grows too dark to walk.  

This morning I took out a heavy book from the bookshelf. It happened to be The Complete Works of William Shakespeare. I was glad to have it in my hand again. I have not touched it since I retired. It was like seeing an old friend after many years of absence. I opened the book and turned several pages, and there I found many memorable passages underlined by me in red. They all looked familiar like the faces of my old friends'.

With the weighty tome in front of me I recollected the days when I started my career as a young student of English literature at college. I was full of ambitions then, vague as they were. With my poor knowledge of English I tried to read as many literary works written in English as I could. Often I have experienced deep frustrations before the insurmountable height of English literature, and once or twice I seriously considered abandoning it.

Many did. Among thirty classmates who had entered English department in the same year all but me left or changed their aim of English study from literature to more practical one before and after graduation. But I stuck to it without realizing what I was doing. Very fortunately I became professor of English literature at a university, and could spend most of my time in doing what I liked to do. 

I still remember very vividly how and when I bought this book. It was when I was a college freshman in 1960. One day I went to a bookstore downtown Seoul. It was the only foreign bookstore in Seoul at that time. So many books of English literature - novels, poetry books, dramas, anthologies, - all imported from abroad were on display like gems of various sizes and colors shining and twinkling at a jeweller's store. Among them was it. The price was horrendously high. It was far beyond my financial as well as linguistic ability, but I bought it after many hesitations and visits to the bookstore. I can still feel its weight in my hand when I carried it home triumphantly.  

The other triumph came more than twenty years later - during my days as a young professor of English. This voluminous book was always with me and I read some of his works from time to time for my need. One day I decided to read the entire works of William Shakespeare one by one very carefully and intensely with my improved and increased knowledge of English for no particular purpose. And I have finished reading them all completely, at least once, before I retired. Still I feel very proud of the fact. I consider it as an achievement in my life.

During my intensive reading of Shakespeare's works I became ambitious again and this time with reason and purpose. I thought I would become a great scholar of Shakespeare in the world by writing an outstanding book on him. But, alas, this ambitious enterprise of mine turned its current awry from the beginning and did not proceed as I wished and planned. The native hue of my great resolution did not simply materialize. I retired leaving nothing behind. 

What was left behind, I found now, was only the scribbles all over the margins and underlines all over the printed texts I had made here and there throughout the book. I looked back with wistfulness at the time when I made them all. They looked like the mortal remains of my youthful ambitions and futile endeavors. I felt sad, angry and ashamed at the same time.

I opened the book, turned several pages and my eyes fell on a rather long passage. It was the well-known and frequently quoted soliloquy in As You Like It, which begins as "All the world is a stage and all the men and women merely players." In it Shakespeare summarized man's life in seven acts : infant, schoolboy, lover, soldier, justice, old man and the last scene that ends our life - second childishness and mere oblivion, "sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything." I found where I stood.

It is time for me to be old. Time to be satisfied with what I have done and with what I am. I must be ready to accept the inevitable as well as the unavoidable terms of life. No time to be ambitious. Time to leave the many and hold the few. Soften the fall with wary foot. And most of all, it is time for me to prepare myself, like a bird trimming its feathers to the gale, for the hardest time coming, when I grow too old to read.  
     (December 25, 2007)

댓글목록

profile_image

RichardCranium님의 댓글

RichardCranium 이름으로 검색 작성일

I was moved by your piece. Thanks for sharing your insights with me on life and living

profile_image

Jini Roby님의 댓글

Jini Roby 이름으로 검색 작성일

Dear Professor Lee:

I read with tender appreciation your reflections in the Korea Times today. I am a native Korean although I do not know how to type it on the computer. I am a law professor in my middle 50’s, and the mother of three grown children. I have often wondered what it will be like to reach the end of my road, professionally. Your essay is both poignant and hopeful.. Thank you for sharing such an honest look at yourself. If you care to respond, I can read Korean very well, as I lived in Korea until age 14.

In any case, thank you.

Sincerely,
Jini Roby

Brigham Young University

Provo, Utah USA

profile_image

무명씨님의 댓글

무명씨 이름으로 검색 작성일

마치 스토커처럼 선생님께 또 다시 메일 올리게 되어 죄송합니다...

변명하자면 오늘 선생님 글에서 깜짝 놀랄 귀절이 눈에 들어 와서
감사함을 표해야 한다는 생각이 들었고 또 꼭 추천해 드리고 싶은
책이 있어서입니다.

저는 어릴 때 아주 심한 언어장애 즉 말더듬이였습니다.
엄마~~란 말도 나오지 않을 때도 있었고 집에 손님이 오면
재빨리 뒤안으로 돌아가 가실 때 까지 웅크리고 앉아 기다렸던
기억이 납니다.

결국 대인공포증,대인기피증(요즘 표현으로 치면)에 시달리며
책과 신문 등 읽을 것 속에 탐닉하게 되어 평생 삶의 지표가 되기도
하고 즐거움 속에 인격형성까지 도움을 받게 되었습니다.

많은 형제 속에서 관심권 밖에 있던 제가 택한 길은 혼자 있을 때
천천히 소리 내며 읽고 연습해 보았지만 사람을 대할 때 말할 용기를
얻어 말더듬이에서 벗어 날 수 있었던 계기가 바로 오늘 선생님께서
인용하신 귀절
"All the world is a stage and all the men and women merely players."였습니다.

저는 제가 대화를 해야 할 분들을 다른 배역을 맡은 배우로 생각하고
제가 맡은 역할은 말더듬이로 규정하고 최선을 다 하여 제 역할을 하기로 자기 최면을 걸었었습니다.

신기하게도 그 자기최면은 제게 큰 용기를 주었고 서서히 언어장애도 고쳐져 갔습니다.

훗날 자신이 처한 고난이나 좌절에서 못 헤어나고 허우적거리는 사람에게
전 제 경험을 토대로 대화 대상자가 되기도 하였고 그 때 마다 사람은
자신이 맡은 배역에 충실해야 한다고 예를 들어 가면서 설교하였습니다.

그러나 전 선생님이 인용하신 그 대사를 오늘 읽기 전에는 제가 택한
방식 즉 인생을 연극무대로 보고 배역에 충실한다는 설정을 추호도 세익스피어의
연극 중 대사를 자신도 모르게 따왔다는 생각은 해보지도 못하였습니다.

그냥 워낙 책을 많이 읽다 보니 상상력이 발동하여 생각해 낸 것으로만 알고 있었습니다.
영문과 출신이라고 하기에는 저는 확실하게 무식하고 제멋대로였던거죠..

아무튼 잘못 알고 있던 사실을 알게 되어 매우 감사하며 그 감사함의 표시로
제가 작년 가장 감명 깊게 읽었던 책 중 두 권을 추천해 올리겠습니다.
이미 보셨더라도 제 외람됨을 용서해 주실 줄 믿사오며...

1,The Imjin War...Samuel Hawley...Royal Asiatic Society Korea Branch
2,Classical

profile_image

Norma Stickler님의 댓글

Norma Stickler 이름으로 검색 작성일

Dear Professor Lee Chang-kook,

Three years ago, I came upon the essay you wrote entitled "Before I Grow Too Old to Read" and found it to beautifully express the frustrations of knowing that there is so much still to read in literature and that we must be willing to choose and to simply enjoy those choices. I copied the article and have read it several times, in particular because of your references to William Shakespeare. Shakespeare has no equal in knowing the human heart. I am currently president of the Shakespeare Round Table of Bowling Green, Ohio, USA. It is a group of 20 women who meet twice a month to read and study the plays of Shakespeare and to give papers on topics relating to Shakespeare's plays. The Round Table began in 1906, so it is now in its 105th year. We are not professional scholars, just women who appreciate Shakespeare. I plan to copy your article and give each member a copy and I know they, too, will be enriched by reading it. I hope that you have continued to enjoy the wonders of reading.

Norma Stickler
Bowling Green, Ohio, USA

회원로그인

회원가입

설문조사

결과보기

새로운 홈-페이지에 대한 평가 !!??

사이트 정보

LEEWELL.COM
서울특별시 강남구 대치동 123-45
02-123-4567
[email protected]