Going to the Concert > IDEAS & IDEALS

본문 바로가기

IDEAS & IDEALS

Going to the Concert

페이지 정보

본문

Those who know that I renew my subscription to the KBS Symphony Orchestra every year and receive its program every month by mail may well presume that I have a very fine ear, ardent love and deep appreciation for the classical music. But, no. I wish I had, but very unfortunately, I don't. Although I try not to miss its monthly performance taking place at Art Center in Seoul, I go to it for reasons other than music itself. Anyway, I do not deny the fact that I have been a regular concert goer for the last two decades or so.

It all started with the great and immortal names in the world of music, such as Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, Mozart and others, but not with their works. I look back at the time with a bitter smile when it was a physical torture for me to sit quiet and still to the end of a long symphonic work that usually consists of four movements. It was simply too long. Fortunately I have gone through the ordeal and arrived at the present level of a pleasant endurance and mild enjoyment.

I know well that I was born with very little musical talent to begin with. I had some good opportunity to learn to play the piano when I was young, but I failed. I could not read the musical notes, nor could I make my two hands play together harmoniously and simultaneously on the piano keyboard. Each played separately. I quit. Often I regret the fact deeply. What a comfort or an asset it would be now for me, if I could play the piano for myself! Old age, like children,  needs something to play with alone.

Music, especially symphonic works for a large orchestra, is the most difficult subject for me to comprehend. Unlike other kind of art, such as literature or painting or sculpture, music is a permanent puzzle to me. I try to understand and appreciate it more deeply, but it constantly escapes my grasp. All works of arts of any kinds are a mystery and wonder, I know, but this invisible art of sounds, I find, comes first and foremost. It lies beyond my understanding.

To my admiration and envy, some say that they not only hear, but see, feel and imagine anything or everything in and through the melodies - the flowing of the river, susurration of the wind through the woods, songs of the birds in springtime, azure sky, joy, sorrow, fear, or what not. But to my despair and disappointment, I have not yet attained that state of enlightenment. I feel I am still far out of the world of music and have a long way to go to be in it.  

As I said above, there is something other than music itself that drives me to the concert once a month. I like the place and the ambience the classic concert has and creates with the people gathering there. There is peace and order. I see quite another world and meet different people there. They look so leisurely in this busy world. They look soft and gentle and courteous. During the performance of the music I experience even some religious piety in there. I feel happy and proud to be one of them.  

The procedure of the classical concert, especially the performance of the symphonic orchestra, has much in common with the religious ceremony in the church or in the temple. The conductor in the orchestra is like the high and renowned minister or priest who leads or presides over the religious rites. He seems to wield absolute authority and power in performing the day's rite or ceremony. It is a miracle to see so many hands and instruments act and move in unison following his direction.  

I like the ritualistic elements and aspects of the concert. On the day of its monthly performance I take all the pains and troubles to go to the concert properly. Even in hot summer I dress myself up with a white shirt and tie for the occasion, accompany my wife without fail and drive my car to the place. I do not forget to take the program with me as the church goers carry the Bible with them.

I arrive early enough to eat dinner at the Mozart Hall, a fancy western restaurant there in the Art Center. I order and pay with my credit card, which is a very rare and unusual act. Usually my wife is supposed to pay all the expenses with her credit card on other occasions and places, simply because all the money I have earned belongs to her now and all the financial transactions are carried out by her, but I insist on paying here for the day because it is a special day for us.

No one knows except us two why we have always our seats reserved at the end of the ground floor of the performance hall in the Art Center, farthest from the orchestra but closest to the exit door in the back. The seats are not only good and ideal for the easy access and exit, but also for taking some rest and relax. We can doze off with closed eyes, even have some sleep during the performance without disturbing or being noticed by other serious audiences.

The other advantage we take of our seats lies elsewhere. I know it is against the common courtesy and decorum of the concert goers to leave the place in haste immediately after the finish of the last movement of the piece. It is like leaving a religious service before it is ended. I know I should keep myself seated in my seat applauding the conductor and the orchestra members and asking for encores until finally they all leave the stage, but usually I leave the place as quickly as possible, earlier than others, to take out my car first and fast from the underground parking lot. Often, nay, almost always, I commit this breach of etiquette due to the privilege of our seats in the back. Shame on me!    
      (June 13, 2011)

댓글목록

profile_image

amabO님의 댓글

amabO 이름으로 검색 작성일

What a charming husband and a humble writer you are! My first encounter with music was at the Renaissance-classical music room located at Moogyo-dong as a freshman.
I dare recommend to you two great DVDs: Mstislav Rostropovic's Bach Cello Suits;Evgeni Mravinsky's Brahms' Symphony 4 and Tchaikovsky's Symphony 5. By all means check commentary by performer or interview with the maestro!
Though I,m an everlasting fresher in music,whenever looking and listening them,I learn lots of truth!

회원로그인

회원가입

설문조사

결과보기

새로운 홈-페이지에 대한 평가 !!??

사이트 정보

LEEWELL.COM
서울특별시 강남구 대치동 123-45
02-123-4567
[email protected]
개인정보관리 책임자 : 김인배
오늘